Ferraris, Tannies and Epiphanies

 

Two Saturdays ago, compliments of the lovely Carel Nolte, I found myself at the Zwartkops Raceway. Ahead of me was a ‘Ferrari experience’, this meant driving a Ferrari F360. I love driving and I love adventures but I have to admit to some trepidation as I perched on a stool listening to the roar of the cars hurtling around the track.

The driver’s briefing was brief! Back out at the side of the track, I was pleased that I had the first of my fears behind me – the fitting of the driver’s suit. I’m not small and I was convinced that there would not be a suit to fit me. I didn’t have to wear a suit – easy!

Helmeted and ready, with a number of young men watching, I manoeuvred myself into the car and was strapped in. I was so concerned about my next fear – stalling in front of everyone – that I didn’t notice the technical hitch. My feet didn’t reach the pedals. As the seat couldn’t be adjusted, I had to move to the second car. I casually levered myself out and sauntered nonchalantly to the other car. (Video footage would reveal much cursing and writhing, there’s nothing graceful about getting into and out of these slim-fit cars.)

With my feet finally on the pedals, I was ready to roar smoothly away. Would I stall? Well no, because apparently you can’t stall a Ferrari F360, someone could have told me that sooner. I zoomed around the track, not at the speed of sound but fast enough for me. After about twenty minutes it was time to head back into the pits. I had done it!

I hauled myself out of the driver’s seat and while I was still trying to untangle myself from the helmet, two young men came rushing over: “Jissie, Tannie, you’ve got guts!” Apparently they had been jumping up and down while I was on the track saying their mothers would never do anything like that.

I was left with a few thoughts. The first was that I so often worry about the wrong things. The second was a line that my instructor, Jackie Scheckter (yes, those Scheckters) used repeatedly: “The brakes are your friend.” I rarely use the brakes in my life, most days I am left feeling exhausted and out of fuel. I also thought about how important it is to be in the right seat in life. You can have all the potential of a magnificent racing car at your disposal but if you’re in the wrong place, you’re not going to get anywhere.

The moment that stays with me most is those two young men, rushing over to tell me I had guts. I didn’t consider what I was doing to be anything extraordinary. Through their eyes though 
, I was a 57 year old, fairly large woman, who could have been their mother, defying the stereotype. I like that.

This tannie is looking for her next adventure.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now is the Time for Courage

Tear Ducts, Onions and Chillies

Have The Conversation